We consider the amount of time you have lived in Australia in the last 4 years. In certain cases, we may exempt you from this requirement
Meet the general residence requirement
At the time you apply you must have been:
- living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
- a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
- away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months
For children 16 or 17 years old, if meeting this requirement would cause significant hardship or disadvantage, you will need to provide proof.
Children under 16 do not need to meet the general residence requirement but must be permanent residents.
Character requirement: You must be of 'good character' if you are 18 years or over.
Good character is the 'enduring moral qualities of a person'.
When we assess good character, we consider whether you are likely to:
- uphold and obey the laws of Australia
- meet the other commitments made through the citizenship pledge
We may consider:
- any recorded criminal convictions
- obligations you may have to a court in Australia or overseas
- your association with people of concern
- incidents of reported domestic violence
- whether you have been honest in your dealings with the Australian community, including providing false or misleading information in relation to a visa or citizenship application
You need a basic knowledge of the English language to become an Australian citizen.
English is our national language. Communicating in English helps you to live a full life in Australia.
If you score 75% or more on our citizenship test, then you meet our language requirement.
Some applicants do not have to sit the test but must have an interview to show they:
- understand what it means to become an Australian citizen
- have an adequate knowledge of the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship
Cost: Application fee AUD285; no cost for a child under 16 years applying with a parent.